A super refreshing Mint Watermelon Agua Fresca. Blended with honey, fresh mint and a squeeze of lemon, this watermelon slushie is what summer is all about!
After a weekend trip to Ithaca, NY, we fell in love with these Mint Watermelon Agua Fresca drinks! The summer would never be the same without them!
The great thing is that it’s super easy to make these, so once sweet watermelon hits the grocery aisles, we are blending away!
What are Aguas Frescas?
Aguas frescas are blended fruit drinks made simply of seasonal fruit, lemon or lime juice and a bit of sweetener.
- Some fruit will require the addition of water, but watermelon and any fruit with substantial juice can be blended without water.
- Fruit that is seedy will need to be run through a strainer for a smooth beverage.
- Sometimes fresh herbs like mint or basil are added.
- BONUS: Adding chia seeds to your agua fresca after blending will give you the most delicious fruity chia drinks!
In this recipe, we add fresh mint which grows wilding in most home gardens!
How to make Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Add watermelon, lemon juice, mint and honey to a high speed blender. I use a Vitamix. Blend until combined.
- Add ice. Blend again until you reach watermelon slushie status!
We don’t stop with watermelon either. Here are a few other of our favorite Aguas Frescas for summer-time drinking:
- Cucumber Lime Agua Fresca is on rotational tap during the summer.
- Hibiscus Agua Fresca, often referred to as agua de jamaica, is made by steeping hibiscus petals. I cannot pass up a meal with a couple tacos + a cold glass of sweet agua de jamaica – make it at home with my agua de Jamaica recipe.
PRO TIP: Add a shot of rum to this watermelon slushie and get that party started with a spiked agua fresca!
a refreshingly sweet, ice cold summer watermelon slushie
- 3 cups cold watermelon cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (adjust based on the sweetness of your watermelon)
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 2 cups of ice
Put first 4 ingredients in a blender and pulse until combined.
Pulse until well blended and frothy.
Keep frozen cubes of lemon juice in the freezer for all your summertime drinks! Easy access means you can make all different flavors of agua fresca slushies all summer long!
More summer fruit recipes to try