Watermelon Sashimi. Ice cold, juicy watermelon squares topped with jalapeño, ginger and honey-lime drizzle, then sprinkled with black sesame seeds. A simple summer watermelon appetizer or elegant amuse bouche for your dinner party.
This colorful watermelon appetizer was developed after watching an episode of The Chew. On the show they were making “New Style” sashimi and my vegetarian mind turned it into this bright pink watermelon appetizer.
Apparently I had watermelon on the brain! You can’t blame me, it’s one of the great perks of summer! Watermelon is only here for a short few months of the year and I will enjoy it while I can!
How to Make a Simple Watermelon Appetizer
This simple summer appetizer takes only 15 minutes to prepare.
- Start by cutting watermelon into square pieces.
- Then add thin slices of jalapeño + strips of fresh ginger.
- Before serving, drizzle the square with a honey and a squeeze of lime juice, followed by a sprinkle of black sesame seeds.
The result is a summer appetizer that is fancy enough for your next dinner party, bite sized and fun to bring to a barbecue and freezable for an ice cold, healthy summer snack.
IF you have leftover watermelon sashimi, you can freeze them and blend a few into your next smoothie for a spicy kick!
This watermelon appetizer has just enough kick from the thin slices of jalapeño and ginger, natural sweetness from the watermelon itself (a tasty melon is crucial in this recipe), and extra sweetness from the honey-lime drizzle. The black sesame seeds stick to the drizzled honey to create a beautiful garnish.
These Watermelon Sashimi Appetizer bites are icy cold, juicy squares with a burst of spice! They are a vegetarian and gluten free appetizer for summer.
- 1 mini seedless watermelon cut into bite sized cubes
- 2 jalapeños sliced thinly
- 1 knob of fresh ginger julienned
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1-2 Tbs black sesame seeds for sprinkling
- 2 Tbs honey for drizzling
Top each piece of watermelon with a slice of jalapeño.
Add garnish of ginger.
Top with a squeeze of lime juice, a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Eat immediately or freeze.
Adjust ingredients depending on the size of your watermelon and jalapeños. You may end up with more pieces.
*if refrigerating for later, wait to add the lime juice and honey. Otherwise it may get a little too juicy!
6 Way to Use Watermelon this Summer
- Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Watermelon Salad with Cucumber + Feta
- Grilled Watermelon with Tequila
- Vegan Watermelon Tomato Salad
- Honey Lime Melon Ball Skewers with Mint
- 8 Ingredient Summer Salad
More recipes you may enjoy