Topped with slices of avocado, these Southwest Black Bean Burgers are a welcome addition to any veggie burger recipe collection. They’re freezer friendly and great for make ahead lunches.
This veggie burger recipe is stuffed with quinoa, black beans, red pepper, sweet potato, onions, bread crumbs and spices. All of this is seasoned with cumin, coriander and chili powder to create a black bean burger with southwestern flair. The flavors are easily changed by swapping out these spices. Try this barbeque spice mix for another great twist!
Keeping it super healthy and plant based, there are no eggs or dairy – it’s a vegan black bean burger. You can add 2 Tbs nutritional yeast to the mix if you’d like to add a “cheesy” flavor. Or if you’re not dairy-free, add some shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese.
It’s always good to have last minute freezer friendly meals on hand. Without them I’d be eating out A LOT more!
Check out these make ahead gems – fill your freezer once and eat so many meals with these easy Spinach Burgers, these Black Bean Beet Burgers or these Spinach, Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos!
PIN these Veggie Burgers!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well in a fine mesh colander
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (other binder options here are 1 flax egg or regular egg)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Warm the olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion, red pepper and garlic with a dash of salt for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are softened and turning translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Sauté for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and partially cover it with a lid. Cook 15 - 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Place the quinoa mixture in a large bowl, set aside to let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add in the drained black beans, sweet potato, panko crumbs and add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix until evenly distributed.
- With damp hands, scoop and form burger patties. It's easy to make perfectly rounded burgers with burger forms like these.
- Add olive oil to a hot griddle and sauté each burger for 4 minutes per side or until nice and golden brown.
- Top with avocado slices, greens and a serve on a bun, if desired.
TIP: You can give these a seasonal twist and used canned pumpkin for the sweet potato. Since canned pumpkin is a bit thinner than sweet potato, add extra bread crumbs – 1 tbs at a time – to get the right consistency for forming patties. And there you have it fall Pumpkin Veggie Burgers!