Bulgur wheat is a great option for the summer – no cooking required – just boil water and steam it! This Turkish Bulgur Wheat Salad with Tomatoes and Cucumbers has great fresh ingredients, almonds for a nutty crunch and an amazing pomegranate molasses dressing.
Can we all agree that homegrown, garden-fresh tomatoes are superior to any grocery store variety? I will answer for all of us – yes, of course! Add some fresh carrots and cucumbers and you’ve got yourself some fine ingredients for salad making.
One of the best advantages of home gardening is that you get all the extras. What I mean by extras in this particular recipe is the carrot tops. If you haven’t ever eaten the tops of carrots you are missing out!
Loaded with nutrients, you won’t usually find carrot tops in the grocery store because commercial growers typically spray them with pesticides.
I LOVE making pesto with carrot greens. They have just the slightest amount of spice that makes an excellent addition to almost anything – like this salad!
Same goes for broccoli plants. They grow with big giant leaves – beautiful sturdy greens that can be sauteéd with garlic or added to any stir fry.
How to Make a Bulgur Wheat Salad
This whole grain salad uses bulgur wheat which is really common in Middle Eastern cuisine. The great thing about making it is that you boil hot water in a kettle, pour it over the grains, cover and let it sit for 20 minutes. That’s all the cooking you need to do.
This bulgur wheat salad has:
- toasted almonds
- Pomegranate Molasses Dressing: made with pomegranate molasses which adds so much tangy, fruit flavor – it’s my favorite kind of molasses. (I even add it to these cookies!)
Inspired by flavors of the Middle East, this salad uses quick cooking bulgur wheat, toasty almonds, chickpeas, lots of feta, tomatoes, cucumbers and a sweet pomegranate dressing.
- 1.5 cup coarse bulgur wheat
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs pomegranate molasses
- zest of 1 lemon + 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced cucumbers
- 2 cups cherry/grape tomatoes about 1 pint, halved/quartered
- 1/2 cup peeled + chopped carrots carrot greens reserved if attached
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot greens OR parsley if carrot greens aren't available
- 4-5 scallions green parts only, chopped
- 1 Tbs chopped mint more if you like mint, I like it super subtle
- 2 teaspoon Aleppo chili pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 4 oz crumbled feta to top optional
Prepare bulgur wheat by placing grains in a large heat proof bowl. Boil the 3 cups of water, pour it over the grains, cover and wait about 20 minutes. All the water will be absorbed.
While you're waiting, mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl. Chop all the veggies - set aside. Toast the almonds (350F, 3 min) - set aside.
Combine cooked bulgur, chickpeas, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, carrot greens or parsley, scallions, and mint in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Add dressing + pepper, toss again.
Top with toasted almonds and optional feta.
Need advice on growing garden fresh tomatoes?
Click here for tips on growing your own!
more recipes selected for you