These vegan buddha bowls are packed with healthy ingredients then mixed with an addictive chipotle sauce. Perfectly roasted cauliflower, baby potatoes tossed in pesto, sautéed kale and a spicy chipotle mayo sauce that’s so good you’ll want to put it on everything.
This Vegan Buddha Bowl is a recreation of one of my favorite dishes at Indian Gardens Café in Sedona.
Since we are all on lockdown these days and I REALLY wanted to eat this, I just had to make my own version at home.
There are two things that make this vegan buddha bowl so incredible (besides the great big heap of veggies):
- First, there is the creamy chipotle mayo sauce. I figured it was pretty much the same chipotle mayo sauce that I use on my sweet potato avocado toast, so it was easy enough to put together.
- Secondly, there’s a dollop of pesto that gets tossed with the roasted potatoes. And EVERYTHING is better with pesto. Don’t worry, this pesto sauce can be made with any greens + nut combo you have. It’s a two-second pesto sauce.
Have I convinced you to make this yet? Just look at this beauty! 🙂
How to Make This Cauliflower Bowl
Step 1: Prepare veggies.
In separate bowls, toss cauliflower and potatoes with olive oil, salt + pepper.
Place on separate rimmed baking sheets.
The trick to tender roasted veggies is to first steam them with a little water. Add 1/4 cup water to each rimmed baking sheet. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 15 min. Remove foil and bake another 30 min.
Step 2: Sauté kale.
Step 3: Make Creamy Chipotle Mayo Sauce.
Four ingredients (mayo, lime juice, chipotle pepper sauce, + 1 clove garlic). A quick whiz in the blender and you’ve got a creamy, tangy chipotle lime sauce.
Step 4: Make Pesto (optional)
Step 5: Assemble bowls.
Toss roasted baby potatoes with pesto, if using. Then divide veggies into 4 bowls, top with a dollop of chipotle sauce.
One of the greatest things about savory buddha bowls is they are breakfast, lunch or dinner – just depends on what time it is!
Healthy Breakfast Bowl Option
Now, at Indian Gardens Café you can order this with scrambled eggs for breakfast, so give that a try if you eat eggs.
How do you make vegetables for breakfast?
There are so many ways to include veggies in your breakfast routine especially vegan buddha bowls! Here are some other options to get your creativity flowing.
6 Ways to Eat More Veggies at Breakfast
- Quinoa Breakfast Hash
- Vegan Biscuits + Mushroom Gravy
- Sweet Potato + Beets Hash Bowl
- Healthy Apple + Carrot Oatmeal
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
These vegan buddha bowls are packed with healthy ingredients then mixed with an addictive sauce. Perfectly roasted cauliflower, baby potatoes tossed in pesto, sautéed kale and a spicy chipotle mayo sauce that’s so good you’ll want to put it on everything.
- 1 head cauliflower (about 4 – 5 cups chopped)
- 12 baby potatoes, sliced in half length-wise
- 6 cups chopped curly kale
- 1 recipe chipotle mayo sauce (you'll use about half)
- 2 Tbs avocado or olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or any greens)
- 3 Tbs pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- salt + pepper
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 4 eggs, prepared to your liking
Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut cauliflower into small florets. Place in small bowl. Toss with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Place in small bowl. Toss with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
Place cauliflower and potatoes on separate rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment. This parchment paper is reusable!
Add 1/4 cup of water to each rimmed baking sheet.
Cover each baking sheet tightly with foil. The extra water steam the veggie first – making them soft and tender.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil.
Bake for another 30 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
Toss roasted potatoes with pesto, if using.
Divide veggies between bowls. Top with chipotle dressing.
See this recipe for the ingredients and instructions.
In a small Cuisinart, blend nuts, garlic, salt and pepper.
Once a grainy paste forms, add spinach. Pulse until all spinach is chopped into tiny bits.
Add olive oil, 1 Tbs at a time, until pesto is emulsified. Taste + add additional salt + pepper if needed.