I’ve had an insatiable craving for everything orange this month and this Orange Smoothie packs a citrus punch. I just can’t get enough! When Cara Cara oranges are in season, you’ll want to give them a try – they are the most delicious orange. I could eat the whole thing – peel and all!
A few years back we spent a long weekend at a Phoenix resort called Hotel Valley Ho. The one thing that stuck with us was their famous “Ho-J” – a breakfast beverage which is essentially vanilla ice cream and orange juice. Who doesn’t love ice cream for breakfast and when you’re in the desert in the middle of the summer you can take the liberty to do just this.
How to Make a Healthy Orange Smoothie
For this Orange Creamsicle Smoothie recipe, we forgo the ice cream for much healthier options. In fact, this smoothie is dairy-free – there is no yogurt and it’s blended with almond milk for a vegan orange smoothie!
What makes this orange smoothie so creamy + full of orange flavor?
- The creamy texture from this smoothie comes from bananas, cashew butter, and cooked quick oats.
- The sweetness comes naturally from the oranges, carrot juice, banana and a pinch of honey.
- An addition of orange extract/oil gives this smoothie an extra orange-flavored boost that put the orange flavor above all other orange smoothies.
This healthy breakfast smoothie is a good source of fiber with oranges, banana and oats to fill you up and keep you full all morning.
What are Cara Cara oranges?
Some might think the Cara Cara orange is a blood orange with its pinkish-red and orange flesh, but it’s not. Cara Cara oranges are navel oranges.
Once you taste Cara Cara oranges, you’ll discover they are sweeter and less acidic than a regular navel orange. These characteristics make Cara Cara oranges perfect for sweetening smoothies! And they’re seedless!
Wondering how many different types of oranges exist?
Oranges fall into these categories.
A healthy orange creamsicle smoothie packed with the best citrus of the season!
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, peeled
- ½ large frozen banana
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup carrot juice
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats, cooked and cooled (make ahead or quickly in the microwave)
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey more to taste
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange oil/extract
- zest of half an orange
Blend all ingredients until nice and frothy.
Add a couple ice cubes to make it cold, if desired.
Top with orange zest.