I’ve had an insatiable craving for everything orange this month and this Orange Creamsicle Smoothie packs a citrus punch. I just can’t get enough! Cara Cara oranges are the best in season orange – I could eat the whole thing – peel and all!
A few years back we spent a long weekend at a Phoenix resort called Hotel Valley Ho. The one thing that stuck with us was their famous “Ho-J” – a breakfast beverage which is essentially vanilla ice cream and orange juice. Who doesn’t love ice cream for breakfast and when you’re in the desert in the middle of the summer you can take the liberty to do just this.
A orange packed smoothie with the best citrus of the season!
- 2 Cara Cara oranges peeled
- ½ large frozen banana
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup carrot juice
- ¼ cup rolled oats cooked and cooled (make ahead or quickly in the microwave)
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey more to taste
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange oil/extract
- zest of half an orange
Blend all ingredients except the banana and zest until nice and frothy.
Add the frozen banana. Blend.
Top with orange zest.