Pesto makes a perfect pizza sauce and this is no exception! Using fresh Broccoli-Walnut Pesto, this Naan Pizza gets topped with Manchego cheese, greens and quick pickled onions with the option to add some chicken sausage. It also makes a great party appetizer sliced into long rectangles. Pickled onions, peppers and greens make this dish bright + colorful!
If you haven’t tried naan, you’re missing out! It’s delicious all on it’s own – especially if you make it from scratch (here)! For this recipe, I use store bought naan – unless it’s the weekend and I have more bread making time.
You’ll have plenty of leftover pesto – which is always a good thing to keep in the freezer. It means that next time you want to eat this pizza, the sauce is just a defrost away! It’s also a great sandwich spread or drizzle to make your soups extra fancy!
Store bought naan with a broccoli pesto, sautéed chicken sausage, red peppers, spinach and shaved manchego cheese. A different take on pizza night.
- 4 naan breads store bought or homemade
- 2-3 Italian turkey or chicken sausages casings removed (omit if vegetarian), precooked sausages are fine, just slice into bite-sized discs.
- 1/3 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 8 pitted kalamata olives sliced (optional)
- 1 cup manchego cheese shaved or sliced very thin
- 2 cups lightly packed baby arugula or baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces toasted
- 2 cups broccoli steamed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped curly parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup slivered red onion
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Make the broccoli pesto: Toast nuts on a baking sheet in oven at 350° for 4 to 5 minutes. Steam broccoli until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, cool in ice water, and use a paper towel to pat dry.
Pulse nuts, broccoli, parsley, garlic, and oil in a food processor until almost smooth. Add parmesan and salt; pulse to blend. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Mix the salad: combine onion, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside. You will top the pizza with this after it comes out of the oven.
Assemble the pizza: put naan on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Brown turkey sausage in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until browned, 5 -8 minutes. Spread naan with pesto, top with sausage, peppers, olives, and a layer of manchego on top.
Bake until cheese softens, 8 minutes. Add arugula/spinach and the olive oil to the vinegar mixture you set aside. Toss to coat; sprinkle over pizzas.
Recipe adapted from http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/naan-pizzas-with-broccoli