Morning Glory Muffins are a kitchen sink type of muffin. Healthy, whole-grains filled with fruits and vegetables.
Looking for a way to make a healthier muffin? These muffins take all the good-for-you ingredients that you most likely already have stocked in your kitchen and create a delicious breakfast!
I brought these into my office and my co-worker, who shall remain nameless, indicated that these might be the healthiest thing he’s ever eaten. Not sure if this is a compliment or not – but we’re going with yes (based on insights gleaned from his Instagram account).
And these truly are a healthy breakfast muffin. Muffins get a bad rap for being laden with butter and sugar. These are filled with fruits and vegetables.
A perfect muffin to start your day. Grab a coffee + muffin and you’re off!
A healthy, whole-grain muffin filled with fruits and vegetables.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour you can use 100% all-purpose if you prefer
- 1 cup date sugar any sugar will work, but will yield sweeter results
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, more to top
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 small apple peeled and grated about 1 cup
- 1 can, 8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans plus more to top
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce preferably homemade - I make and freeze into 1 cup portions every fall
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Place oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350°
In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Add the coconut, raisins, orange zest, apple, pineapple, carrots and stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with the applesauce and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients, and blend well.
Spoon batter into muffin tins lined with muffin cups. Spritz the muffin cups with cooking spray. Fill almost all the way, they don't rise much.
Press extra nuts and coconut flakes onto the tops, if desired.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.