What do pickled red onions have to do with Valentine’s Day? After days of contemplating what to cook for Valentine’s Day dinner, I realized that V Day was going to be on #TacoTuesday!
It became very clear what I was making for dinner. PINK TACOS! I’ll be whipping up homemade pink tortillas – tortilla tutorial here. For now I’ll start prepping with a jar of pickled red onions.
With very little effort, you can add BIG flavor (and color) to your taco night and beyond. You can make these within an hour of eating tacos or you can make them ahead and store for up to two weeks. A single batch is definitely enough for two weeks worth of #TacoTuesdays.
Stay tuned for the pink taco post later in the week!
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- herbs, optional
- Thinly slice red onion using a knife or use a mandoline for nice even slices.
- Place vinegar, salt, sugar, peppercorns, garlic and optional herbs in a jar. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add onions so they are fully immersed in the liquid. Cover and store until ready to use.
- Onion will be slightly pickled within an hour or place in refrigerator for storage up to two weeks.